I went to class today, which is actually somewhat of a rarity in these past few weeks. Tomorrow I’m skipping class to go to Fr. Zhao’s First Mass and tomorrow night Aleid and I are going to Wuyishan (UNESCO World Heritage mountains in northern Fujian province) for the rest of the week. The trip is spanning parts of five days, yet we’ll only spend two nights in a hostel. Ah, the joys of night trains!!
I didn’t get as much done today as I probably should have, but I can always write Christmas postcards on the aforementioned train rides. Instead, I spent the afternoon watching Mulan online while chatting with a good friend and snacking on bread with cheese and summer sausage, with a dessert of strawberries (which just came into season here) and bananas with Nutella. Pretty wonderful.
I’m going to be offline for next few days (again, those aforementioned train rides and all), but I have a task for you to fill the time. Remember way back when, in 2003 when email surveys were, like, THE THING (at least if you were 15, which I happened to be)? Well, in December of 2003 I filled out this end-of-the-year survey. By the next year, I had started my journal and did the survey there. The next year, I did it again – and the next year, and the next year. Anyway, this is now my 6th December of keeping a journal and my 7th year of doing this survey, and I’ve found it interesting to look back on each year. Since you are now reading my journal, you are soon going to be treated to my answers for this year, but I would like to invite you to answer some or all of them yourselves. Here are the questions; you have a few weeks to be thinking!
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled or depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What songs will always remind you of 2009?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
ii. thinner or fatter?
iii. richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
24. What were your favorite TV shows?
25. What was your favorite film of this year?
26. What was the best book you read?
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What was the best new trend you discovered?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.